Most frequent questions and answers
Your metabolism otherwise known as Resting Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy in calories your body requires to maintain crucial life-sustaining processes i.e. to you’re your heart, breathe, maintained your body temperature, brain function etc at rest.
Knowing if you have a slow, normal or fast metabolism takes all the frustration and guesswork out of losing fat and gaining muscle. With an accurate metabolic measurement, calories to eat on your training days and rest days also gives you calories for weight loss or maintenance.
The preparation for a metabolic test:
- No food, coffee or any substance for 4 hours prior to your test (only exception is water)
- Don’t exercise on the day before your test
Getting ready for your DEXA scan is simple.
No denim jeans allowed for the scan, the best clothes to be worn are gym type clothes. If you are coming from work, we have disposable gowns for you to change into.
For the DEXA scan you simply lie down on your back and relax for 6 minutes as you get accurately measured and calculated.
The whole process and consultation will take 15 minutes.
Our experts will interpret your results and the consult is thorough! You will know your:
- Lean tissue mass
- Fat mass
- Body fat %
- Precise body weight
- You will be shown the amount of visceral fat and intramuscular fat on your body**
With this information we can work out your ideal body weight, body fat % and a realistic time frame to achieve the body you want.
** Our DEXA Scan model, is the only type of DEXA Scan that visualises visceral fat and subcutaneous fat.
Two x-ray beams at differing energy levels pass through the tissues of the body. Fat, muscle and bone each have different attenuating factors, i.e. different levels of absorption due to their unique densities. It is these attenuating factors that allow the DEXA to calculate relative masses of each tissue type in each region (trunk, arms, legs).
It is as simple as lying fully clothed (removing all metal from your body) on the DEXA table and allowing the scan to go over your body for approximately 6 minutes. It is a comfortable, quick, accessible, non-invasive and pain free way to get immediate answers!
Your body consists of two types of mass: body fat and fat-free mass.
- Body Fat is fat that is located within the body. Body fat can be in muscle tissue, under skin or around organs. Some fat is necessary for overall health. It helps protect internal organs, provides energy and regulates important body hormones. Our Body Measure DEXA scan is the only model that allows you to see the fat in the muscles and around your organs.
- Fat Free Mass includes bone, water, muscle, and tissues. Fat-free mass is also important for the body to function properly.
Body composition is a comparison of your body’s fat and fat-free mass. When we talk about body composition, we usually refer to Body Fat % or the percentage of your body that is fat.
Losing fat and gaining muscle is the definite goal at Body Measure, however we find that only about 5% of our clients achieve this. To grow muscle and lose fat at the same time there must be a perfect balance of nutrition, calories, rest and appropriate gym workouts. Our experts at Body Measure can advise you about this.
Children under the age of 18 can not get a DEXA scan. Unless there is written permission from a doctor asking for it.
No. even though it is extremely low dose x-ray radiation, we do not perform DEXA Scans on pregnant women.
DEXA scans are extremely safe. Radiation surrounds us on a daily basis. To put the level of radiation from the DEXA in perspective:
- An average Australian is subject to 6.3 uSv background radiation per day.
- The DEXA scan gives a radiation dose of 0.2 uSv per scan
So if you had 32 DEXA scans back-to-back (which would be almost 3 hours of continuous DEXA scanning) you would receive the equivalent of your normal daily background radiation exposure!